Tuesday, September 16, 2014

I Am A Disciple

No pictures of sewing today.. just thought  I would share something I heard on a cassette tape well over 25 years ago.  As a young mom of seven kids, it simply broke my heart to hear this letter being read.  And as  I listen to the daily news and hear about so many who are being persecuted and killed for their faith, this letter comes quickly to mind.  Please keep our brothers and sisters who are facing the real possibility of martyrdom on a daily basis in your hearts and in your prayers.  Thank you.

I Am A Disciple Of Jesus Christ

I’m part of the fellowship of the unashamed. The die has been cast.  I have stepped over the line.  The decision has been made--

I am a disciple of Jesus Christ!
I won’t look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still!
My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, my future is secure!
I am finished with low living, sight walking, small planning, colorless dreams, tame visions, mundane talking, chintzy giving, and dwarfed goals!
I no longer need preeminence, prosperity, position, promotions, plaudits, or popularity!
I don’t have to be right, first, tops, recognized, praised, regarded, or rewarded!
I live by faith, lean on His Presence, walk by patience, lift by prayer and labor by Holy Spirit Power.
My face is set! My goal is heaven! My road is narrow! My way rough, my companions few,
but.....
My Guide is reliable and my mission is clear!
I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed!
I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy or meander in the maze of mediocrity!
I won’t give up, shut up, let up or slow down
Until I’ve stayed up, prayed up, paid up, stored up and preached up for the cause of Christ!
I am a disciple of Jesus! I must give until I drop, preach until all know and work until He stops me.
And when He comes to claim His own, He will have no problem recognizing me, my banner will be clear!

(This letter was nailed to the door of a young pastor’s home in Zimbabwe, Africa who had suffered severely for his faith. and who was later martyred)


“With His Finger God wrote on the stone,
None could change it
None erase it.

My sin smashed the stone
broke His heart
impaled the Author on a cross-beam

Now His Finger writes again----------
again on my heart.”

Hermom Pettit


No comments: