Sunday, September 6, 2015

Children's Corner and Petite Poche

Children's Corner and Petite Poche ( Wendy Schoen) will be my next to the last  pattern companies that I will 'critique' on my blog.  Victoria Jones will be the last.  These  two companies/designers were a true pleasure for me to use in my beginning steps of learning heirloom sewing.  In the early years when I first came across this type of sewing, Martha Pullen, along with these two companies, were favorites for those of us who were bitten by the bug known as heirloom sewing. Most of the techniques were done predominately by hand and took patience along with a lot of practice to achieve that end result that so many of us were striving for. For me it was Martha Pullen, who seemingly gathered each one of us up under her wings and flew us far away into horizons we never knew even existed!  My journey into heirloom began back in the late eighties.  The only shop that taught this wonderful art was located quite a distance from me.  Each trip to  class was 140 miles round trip for me...but I took every class regardless of how far I had to drive. I was homeschooling 5 of my kids at the time so I was forced to take either evening or weekend classes.  My daughter Nicole, attended  nearly every evening class with me so that I wouldn't have to travel so far alone at night.  She sat quietly in each class, watching and waiting at times,  to try and do everything the instructor was teaching each of us in that particular class.  Nicole's bullion roses were far superior than mine and she managed to outshine me in practically every stitch she took. (It was embarrassing!) I took ribbon embroidery, regular hand embroidery, smocking, heirloom technique, Brazilian embroidery, shadow work, Madeira Appliqué,  you name it, I took it. If it had anything to do with heirloom, I was there.  I had already been sewing for my kids for years, but I had never seen or experienced anything like this type of sewing before and I wanted to know everything...I was hooked and I didn't mind swallowing the bait completely!  Some of those patterns...

Children's Corner patterns are named after children...rather apropos.. I think every person who ever learned how to smock used the Lee pattern. (Don't forget to click on image if you want to see better.)


I'm not sure how many I made of this dress, but I do know that the very first one I ever made went to my niece Katherine.  I have no pictures of the dresses I made in my smocking days except for this one small picture below.  My daughters Nicole and Elizabeth hung the dress on the wall before I shipped it off to my niece.  They used an old Polaroid camera.  Thanks so much girls!


Another favorite was Madeline:


I only have one picture of this one.  But I know that I made more than one as I thought the pattern was absolutely darling.  I used Liberty of London fabric and decided to make contrast piping when attaching the ruffles to the collar and skirt of the dress.


Robin's Little Jacket was another one that I thought was pretty cute but have no pictures to share with you.  (How I wish I had learned the value of taking pictures!!)  I made this jacket using a light pink, rosebud, minkie on one side and a beautiful matching floral, flannel on the other.  My granddaughter worn that jacket out I think! 


Wendy Schoen of Petite Poche is a powerhouse filled with unbelievable talent.  Her handwork is far superior than anyone I know and in fact is internationally known for her fabulous work.  This is how she is described on her webpage:

"Wendy’s international studies include Madeiran embroidery with the masters at the Imperial de Bordados in Madeira, Portugal, a brief study of Aryshire embroidery with renowned embroidery master, Agnes Bryson in Glasgow, Scotland, and extensive studies in White Work, Stump Work, Silk Shading, Black Work, Wool Embroidery and Gold Work at the Royal School of Needlework at Hampton Court, London, England.She has completed the Royal School of Needlework Certificated program and is currently working towards a diploma."

(Need I say more?)

Ms. Schoen's patterns are also named after children. I have made Logan, Melissa, and Vintage Baby Bubbles. I don't have any pictures of the Logan outfit or the Melissa outfits but I loved how both came out! (I made the Melissa three times because I liked it so much.) Vintage Baby Bubbles was and still is a favorite of mine. Here are a couple of pictures of that pattern.





I will critique Victoria Jones on the next blog.  I didn't realize that this one would end up being so long!  

But traveling back down that road of when I first met Martha, Kathy, Angela, Peggy, Charlotte, and more, brought back some truly wonderful memories.  How precious you all are to me. On this exciting, sewing journey I have been blessed to be surrounded by some of the most inspiring, creative, and incredible women that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.  Hugs,  smooches, and lots of love to you all!

Until next time.....

No comments: