Monday, August 8, 2011

What Is a disciple?

The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made--

I am a disciple of Christ!

I won’t look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still.
My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, my future is secure.
I am finished with low living, sight walking, small planning, colorless dreams, tame visions, mundane talking, chintzy giving, and dwarfed goals.
I no longer need preeminence, prosperity, position, promotions or popularity.
I don’t have to be right, first, tops, recognized, praised, regarded, or rewarded.
My face is set! My goal is heaven! My road is narrow! My way is rough
but.....
My Guide is reliable and my mission is clear.
I cannot be bought, compromised, deterred, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed.
I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy or meander in the maze of mediocrity.
I won’t give up, shut up, let up or slow up
Until I’ve preached up, prayed up, paid up, stored up and stayed up for the cause of Jesus Christ.
I am a disciple of Jesus. I must go until He comes, give until I drop, preach until all know and work until He stops me.
And when He comes to claim His own, He will have no problem recognizing me, my banner will be clear.

(This letter was nailed to the door of a young pastor’s home in Zimbabwe, Africa who had suffered severely for his faith. and was eventually martyred)


“With His Finger God wrote on the stone,
None could change it
None erase it.

My sin smashed the stone
broke His heart
impaled the Author on a cross-beam

Now His Finger writes again----------
again on my heart.”

Hermom Pettit

Years ago when I was listening to a message on a tape recorder, the speaker was reading the above passage in regards to, What Is A Disciple. It touched my heart in such a way that I replayed the tape over and over again until I was able to write out the entire message that the young pastor had written to his persecutors. It made me question myself as to how I would respond if persecuted like he was. Then a couple of years later my dear friend, who has since passed away, gave me a book with the bottom quote that I have also shared with you. It has been well over 25 years now since I first heard these passages but I still read these precious nuggets periodically to not only remind me of the greatest of our Great God but to also bring comfort in times of unrest. For that reason, I am now sharing them with you. "Greater is He Who is within you than he who is in the world." Blessings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFZyT2fEK3I&feature=related

No comments: