Friday, August 28, 2015

Side Note

Good morning friends.  I wanted to make sure that I clarify something....these critiques are merely MY opinion and what I have found when using the various, patterns, books, and ideas that are out there.  Your perception may be completely different than mine... and that's okay.  My aim is to simply share what I have experienced in my over 50 years of sewing.  I enjoy sewing immensely as I am sure you do or you wouldn't be here.  Prayerfully my blog will be of some help to those who may be new, getting back into sewing, or simply visiting my blog just for the fun it. I will continue my critiques tomorrow but here is what I have shared with you so far.... in a nut shell:

Martha Pullen    A- fits slightly big, has great directions, many patterns work well for beginners, but many are definitely for intermediate and advanced as well.  Easy patterns to teach.

Izzy & Ivy   C- darling designs and good fit but the directions are lacking.  A beginner would be utterly lost.  You need to definitely know what you're doing before you start.

The Old Fashioned Baby   A-  This company has been around for a long time and is great when taking that first step into heirloom sewing.  These are more for the intermediate sewer and up.

Cottage Mama     A- A newer an upcoming pattern company. Lindsay works hard at making sure her directions are clear...at least with the pattern I worked on.  I can't wait to make more!  The pattern I used was great  for  beginners.

Kari Mecca     A- for passion, creativity and design, but definitely not for the timid or the beginner.  I have made a ton of Kari's patterns and have even taught them.  She inspires me.

Fiona Bell     D- Great ideas, but her patterns and directions are nearly impossible to follow.  I wish I could have given a better review.

Kwik Sew     A- This is another company that has been around for a long time.  It's a pattern company that is pretty much exclusive to using knit fabric.  Having a serger is maybe not necessary, but preferable.  Several of their patterns are great for beginners, but not all of them.  It's like taking baby steps while working with knits.  Start slow and build, you won't believe what you can accomplish.

So there you have it..again, my prayer is that this will not only help you but encourage you to grow in the area of sewing.  My upcoming posts will include, Children's Corner, Favorite Things, Olive Ann Designs, Petite Poche, Gooseberry Hill, Rob Merrett and more.

Any questions or comments?  Please share.  Thanks!   Until next time....

No comments: