Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A New You

Every once in awhile, I get the wonderful privilege of speaking to a group of women, whether at a church retreat or else where, and I will sometimes bring some of my quilts along with me. One of my favorite quilts to bring is one that I disliked immensely when I first completed it. I wondered if I had had a brain freeze somewhere in the quilt making process, or if my color values had run amuck at some point. I thought that the quilt that I had just completed was by far, the ugliest quilt that I had ever made. I almost didn't even have it quilted...... why bother?? I reluctantly gave it to my quilting friend and told her to do whatever she wanted to do with it. I really didn't care how she quilted it and I obviously didn't care as to when she even gave it back.

Melinda took me at my word and with her free creative style, she quilted a bouquet of flowers in a pot on the front of my quilt. I was so pleased and surprised with her work that I set to work adding crystals and pearls in various places on the quilt. I then made a label for the back and Toni hung it up in the shop. That quilt had more comments, I think, than any other quilt that Toni hung. It was beautiful.

It made me think of how God does the exact same thing with each one of us. He takes us right where we are and changes us into something pretty miraculous. How precious and wonderful that is. I thought there was no hope for my quilt and look at it now. Sometimes we think that there is no hope for us.... not so!! Given God's creative style, along with His great love and you'll be amazed at what He can do with a surrendered life. Simply amazing!!



No comments: