Friday, May 31, 2013

More 12 wt. thread

The shop is offering a basic hand embroidery class once a month for the entire year.  Each month our students have been taught various methods of stitch types, different looks using wool and a plethora of wonderful threads that are used for handwork or that can also be ran through the machine.  I am always talking about my love for 12 wt. thread, so I have been asked to teach for the month of June.  I wanted the students to experience for themselves the many uses of 12 wt. thread so I came up with this hand towel project so that they could do just that!  I used a double strand on the word autumn, (a single strand on the veins of the leaves) and then ran it through my machine using a buttonhole stitch on the pumpkins.  I liked how the towel came out and toyed with the idea of finishing off the towel with matching fabric... I decided to leave it plain.

The towels that I have pictured below this latest project, are towels that I have posted before, but that have been finished differently at the bottom....OR you can simply leave it plain like I have on this one.







I had fun machine embroidering this towel... just make sure that you wash the towel first to get rid of any shrinkage.  I also decided that this towel needed more than the embroidery... it needed a ruffle and some trim.



 I added a coordinating fabric to this one as well, along with piping.  Piping adds so much...






I decided not to add a ruffle to this last one, but to simply cover the bottom of the towel with coordinating fabric... and again.. piping.  Click for closer looks of each towel.




2 comments:

TheFitnessFreak said...

Did Moses try to eat that flower too? :-)

Deborah Hays said...

If he could have reached it! ;-) He would have surely taken the flower off of Keira's dress if I wasn't standing right there! I've never had a dog that would eat every flower in my yard, especially roses, if he could. He completely dug up my new rose bush and while I was replanting it, he was pulling the petals off of another one while he was watching me. That dog!!