Thursday, May 14, 2009

Quilts, quilts, quilts.........

In Proverbs 31 we read about the godly wife of noble character,  a chapter most believers are very  familiar with.  "She makes coverings for her bed...." (Verse 22a)  I love this chapter just like I love the whole Word itself.  There is so much depth and so many promises to be found in its many pages.  In another passage from the Bible, found in the book of Exodus, (31:1-11) it states that the Lord 'appointed by name' those He wanted to make and craft everything that He wanted done for His Holy Temple.  It also states that the Lord, 'filled these people with His Spirit, with wisdom, understanding, and ability in EVERY craft to design..'  I think He still does that today.  Since I believe every gift that we possess comes from our Father above, we need not only to be thankful, but purposeful in using those gifts.  To be good stewards so to speak.  Gifts, as you well know have been used for good but also for evil.  They are what they are, His gifts to us.  We all need to be accountable for the usage of these incredulous gifts that He so graciously and freely has given to us.... me included.  I feel like my heavenly Father has given me the gift of teaching and of sewing for a reason.  I LOVE and appreciate both of these wonderful gifts.  Below you will find some of the 'coverings' that I have made not only for my bed, but for those I love and hold dearly.

I had made quilts for my parents already, but they were merely lap quilts. My dad complained that they were not large enough for him, nor warm enough either. Soooo.. I made my parents a quilt out of flannel fabric and then stitched wool batting in between the layers. (No complaints now.) ;-)



Working at the shop, Pomegranate Quilts, we would sometimes get fabric in that you hated to cut up. (I know all of you quilters out there know what I am talking about!) This was one such fabric. When it came in I fell in love with it.



Also at the shop, I had the great privilege of teaching most of the classes. This was one of them, "Block of the Month". I decided to use fabric that wasn't really moving in the shop. In fact my main fabric, the light one with the pine cones, had never even seen a cut out of it. I really like how it came out.



This last quilt was also from a class at Pomegranate's. A new quilter, (my sweet Karen) had decided that she wanted to learn a new technique in quilting. This pattern offered her just what she was looking for. Everyone of us shared a piece of our own fabric from our quilt to be intertwined with each others. I couldn't tell you now whose fabric is where in this quilt of mine. The quilt pattern's name? Friendship Star. And that is exactly what this quilt represents, a melding of friends that were made in that class. On the inside border, I hand embroidered portions of Proverbs 31 and on the outside border I hand appliqued flowers and leaves on opposing corners. I dedicated this quilt to the talented and wonderful women in that group who became some of my dearest friends. Hugs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen these quilts mamy times but I never tire of looking at them! I love beautiful quilts and they remind me of the beautiful person who made them! Love you much, Mom

Deborah Hays said...

Awwwwwww. Thanks mom.