Monday, May 23, 2011

Feet!

I own a considerable amount of speciality feet that I have purchased through the years to go along with my Bernina. For those of you who sew and own a sewing machine of your own, I'm sure that you are well aware of the feet that actually came with your machine.... at least I hope so. ;-) But have you ever looked at the speciality feet that are available that you can purchase for your machine? I always tell everyone that I have become a foot snob... at least when it comes to sewing. Since I sew so much, I like having these specialty feet available so that my sewing projects not only get done faster, but they also have a nice finished and professional look to them by the end of the project. Hopefully that's what you want too. I thought that I would share with you a few of my favorite feet beginning with the #10 foot.

For the Bernina we simply call it the #10 foot...but its real name is the edgestitch foot. This is a fantastic foot that has more uses than I could ever mention here on my little post. I use it a lot for heirloom sewing to sew laces, fabric or entredeux together... like I shared with you in my last post. That little blade that you see in the middle of the foot, can go into seams... when you want to 'stitch in the ditch'. You can use the blade as a guide for French seams. Or you can do what I did to join laces together with entredeux like the pictures below. Placing the lace and/or fabric on either side of the blade then using a small zig zag stitch to join them together gives you incredible results. Go to Bernina's website for more info!



I was trying to come up with different looks when making the christening gown. Here are a few examples that I made up for around the skirt of the gown.





I ended up liking this one the best. You can see the beautiful entredeux that I chose along with the Swiss insertion. The end result is the piece to the far right. I loved how delicate it looked and used it on a portion of the gown that I shared in my last post. Make up your own look and incorporate it in your next project!!! You won't be disappointed.

No comments: